Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I had never made chutney before this one, but it is so simple, no boiling, it's almost a no cook version. It will keep for up to a week in the fridge, but I doubt it will last that long!
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces plums, halved,stoned and thickly sliced
- 2 ounces fresh dates or 2 ounces dried dates, stoned and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon light muscovado sugar, more to taste
- 1 large red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- Preheat grill and line the grill pan with foil.
- MIx the onions and oil and spread them out in the pan.
- Grill for 12-15 minutes or until soft and charred.
- Put the plum slices into a large bowl and add the hot onions with all the reamining ingredients.
- Leave to marinate for 1 hour, then taste and add salt and pepper, plus a little extra sugar if you like.
- Goes great with cold meats or stuffed into a pitta bread with a strong cheese.
Although I followed the recipe pretty much, I did cut back the amount of red chile by about 2/3! I also used the more moist, chewy Medjool dates & came up with A GREAT TASTING CHUTNEY, & one I'll make again! Thanks for adding to my growing number of chutney recipes! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my Chutney theme in My-3-Chefs]