Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made this pie from Food and Drink magazine last week to use up some prune plums I had bought. We just loved it. A friend gave me some more prune plums from her tree so I am making another one!
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, unbaked
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 4 cups Italian plums, pitted and cut into quarters
- 1⁄4 cup plum jam
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the granulated sugar, tapioca flour, cinnamon, ginger, cardamon and plums in a large bowl and toss together.
- Stir in the jam.
- Spoon the filling and any juices into the unbaked pie shell.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet to catch any juices.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter and work with your fingers until you have both small and large pieces.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the plums.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the pastry edge looks cooked.
- Reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes or until the juices are bubbling and the topping is brown.