Recipe by Jenny Sanders
I had a whole bunch of plums one year, and wanted a chutney that would sing and dance on my tongue. This is what I came up with, and I think it's pretty darn good. If you can't find keffir lime leaves (at a Vietnamese or Chinese grocery) add the zest of large lime instead.
- 2 quarts Italian plums
- 3 cups cranberries
- 6 large jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon whole cardamom pod
- 12 kaffir lime leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, pit and chop the plums.
- Wearing gloves, stem, seed and chop the peppers.
- Put the plums, cranberries and peppers in a large kettle.
- Add the ginger, peeled and grated.
- Add the water, sugar, vinegar and spices.
- Put the jars into a large canning kettle, and cover with water to an inch above the tops of the jars.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes to sterilize.
- Simmer the fruit mixture until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the keffir lime leaves and cardamom.
- Pack into hot sterilized jars and seal with lids sterilized according to the manufacturers instructions.
- (Generally, boil for 5 minutes.) Boiling water process 15 minutes.