Recipe by Tisme
Found this recipe in the paper, and am posting here for the coming plum season as I am always looking for fantastic new ways to use up the excess of plum's. Please note -- I am guessing the times as I have not made this yet. The serving size will also depend on the size of the jars you use.
Top Review by threeovens
I really liked this recipe a lot. I made it to go with a vegetable curry and it was an excellent complement. It was sweet and spicy. I left out the carrots since I was out and did use the onions. I did not cook it long and left it sort of chunky. Very good.
- 1 kg plum, stoned
- 250 g dates, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 500 g raisins
- 500 g carrots, finely grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 onion, finely chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add together plums, dates, raisins and carrot and place ina saucepan with vinegar and boil gently, until quite soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer gently, stirring often, until thick and creamy.
- Bottle in sterilised jars and seal well. N.B -- If you prefer mild chutney, use less chili powder.