Recipe by SilentCricket
In our backyard, there is a plum tree and it went crazy last season and we had oodles of plums. I was looking for ways to use the fruit and found this delicious recipe for chutney that came from the Red Castle Inn B&B in Nevada City, CA. I gave three of the jars away as Christmas gifts and it was a hit!
Top Review by Iron Bloomers
I know this needs to mellow over a 4 week period but WOW! I got a spoonful as I was jaring it--just couldn't wait....what a wonderful blend of flavors & very easy to make...the waiting is the hardest part. Wonderful for gifts this holiday season.
- 3 1⁄2 cups purple plums, seeds removed (I used red plums!)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup golden seedless raisins
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugars and vinegar in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugars dissolve.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook gently 45-50 minutes until thickened.
- Stir often to keep chutney from scorching.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
- **Allowat least one month to season before opening.