5 hrs 30 mins
A jam-like fruit chutney. Make this in the late summer when plums are ripe and plentiful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs dark firm-ripe plums, cut in half, pitted, and then quartered (Santa Rosas)
- 1/2 cup golden raisin
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (2-inch piece)
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and slivered
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1Combine the first 12 ingredients in a slow cooker.
- 2Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until the chutney reaches a jam-like consistency.
- 3Remove lid and let mixture cook on HIGH an additional 30 minutes to evaporate excess juice and thicken, if necessary.
- 4Stir in crystalized ginger.
- 5Turn off the cooker and let cool to room temperature in the slow cooker.
- 6Scrape mixture with a rubber spatula into clean glass jars (can use spring-top glass jars or jars with screw tops with new lids).
- 7Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 weeks before using to allow the flavors to mellow.
- 8The chutney will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Plum Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (1813 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.1
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 44.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 115.3 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: