Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A jam-like fruit chutney. Make this in the late summer when plums are ripe and plentiful.
Make and share this Plum Chutney recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs dark firm-ripe plums, cut in half, pitted, and then quartered (Santa Rosas)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (2-inch piece)
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and slivered
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- Combine the first 12 ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until the chutney reaches a jam-like consistency.
- Remove lid and let mixture cook on HIGH an additional 30 minutes to evaporate excess juice and thicken, if necessary.
- Stir in crystalized ginger.
- Turn off the cooker and let cool to room temperature in the slow cooker.
- Scrape mixture with a rubber spatula into clean glass jars (can use spring-top glass jars or jars with screw tops with new lids).
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 weeks before using to allow the flavors to mellow.
- The chutney will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
i made this exactly as is, except my plums were from my tree, and much smaller then is normal. and it turned out wonderful! i made some regular hamburgers taste fantastic by simply mixing this in prior to cooking. tastes good on crackers too. thanks! oh, forgot to say i did change the cider vinegar to a rice vinegar, just to suit what was on hand. excellent recipe.
The only change I made to this excellent recipe was to add 1 more jalapeno, 1 teaspoon garam masala, and then to let it age for a full month. Everyone loves this chutney.