Prep 4 hrs
Cook 40 mins
From A Southerly Course by Martha Foose Hall
- 1 3⁄4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup plum jelly
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the vanilla wafer crumbs, brown sugar and melted butter. Set aside 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture and put the remaining crumbs into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Press firmly onto the bottom of the dish.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, sugar and eggs on medium speed for 2 minutes or until well blended. Pour the mixture over the crust. Carefully spoon the jelly over the top of the cream cheese mixture. Stir the almonds into the remaining crumb mixture and sprinkle evenly over the jelly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the center is set and the top is golden brown. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for several hours or until chilled. Cut into bars and serve.