Recipe by MarieRynr
You can dry your own plums for this cake (see note at end of recipe). Plan ahead if you are going to do this. This delicious moist cake is a real taste treat. The cake needs to chill for at least one hour before eating, so plan for this as well.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I grind my own)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup dried plum, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts
For the brandy cream filling
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons gelatin
- 3 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup brandy
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300*F. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and flour and set aside.
- In another larger bowl, beat the eggs until pale coloured, then add the peanut oil and buttermilk. Mix in the dried plums and nuts.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, mixing well.
- Pour the batter into a buttered 8 by 8 inch square baking pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for an hour before filling.
- To make the brandy cream filling combine the cream, sugar, vanilla and gelatin in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the mixture is steamy and hot, but not boiling.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks; pour the hot cream mixture over the yolks while whisking. Strain back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and add the brandy. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the softened butter and chill. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Split the cake by cutting horizontally and fill with the chilled brandy cream. Return the cake to the fridge for at least an hour before serving. You can dust the top with icing sugar before serving if you wish.
- Note: to oven dry Italian plums, split them in half lengthwise and remove the pit. Place skin side down on a sheet of baking parchment or foil on a baking pan and place in a 200*F oven for 10 to 12 hours or overnight.