1/1 Photo of Plum Cake " Tatin" Barefoot Contessa - Ina Garten
1 hr 15 mins
I watched Ina make this on t.v. today and it was beautiful. The episode was called Photo Finish. If you are having trouble pulling the pits out of the plums, try using a melon baller.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing the dish
- 10 -12 purple plums, cut in half and pitted
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- confectioners' sugar
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F; generously butter a 9-inch glass pie dish and arrange the plums in the dish, cut side down.
- 2Combine 1 cup of the granulated sugar and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over high heat until it turns a warm amber color, about 360 degrees on a candy thermometer. Swirl the pan but don't stir. Pour evenly over the plums.
- 3Meanwhile, cream the 6 tablespoons of butter and the remaining 3/4 cup of granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy. Lower the speed and beat in the eggs one at a time.
- 4Add the sour cream, zest, and vanilla and mix until combined. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt and, with the mixer on low speed, add it to the butter mixture. Mix only until combined.
- 5Pour the cake batter evenly over the plums and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- 6Cool for 15 minutes, then invert the cake onto a flat plate.
- 7If a plum sticks, ease it out and replace it in the design on top of the cake.
- 8Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners' sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Plum Cake " Tatin" Barefoot Contessa - Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.7
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 106.6 mg
- Sodium 166.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 69.7 g
- Protein 5.9 g