Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I watched Ina make this on t.v. today and it was beautiful. The episode was called Photo Finish. If you are having trouble pulling the pits out of the plums, try using a melon baller.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing the dish
- 10 -12 purple plums, cut in half and pitted
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F; generously butter a 9-inch glass pie dish and arrange the plums in the dish, cut side down.
- Combine 1 cup of the granulated sugar and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over high heat until it turns a warm amber color, about 360 degrees on a candy thermometer. Swirl the pan but don't stir. Pour evenly over the plums.
- Meanwhile, cream the 6 tablespoons of butter and the remaining 3/4 cup of granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy. Lower the speed and beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the sour cream, zest, and vanilla and mix until combined. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt and, with the mixer on low speed, add it to the butter mixture. Mix only until combined.
- Pour the cake batter evenly over the plums and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes, then invert the cake onto a flat plate.
- If a plum sticks, ease it out and replace it in the design on top of the cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners' sugar.
Love it! my first Tatin and it came out perfect! Even though I forgot to pre heat the oven. I stopped cooking the sugar at 310* poured it over the plums and it became rock hard. I wasn't sure if this would work. Once the oven heated I poured on the cake batter and cooked it for 45 minutes. Let it rest for 15 minutes... inverted beautifully. We will be making this again.