Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from one of our local papers. It can also be baked in a 9-inch false bottom tart pan with 2-inch sides. Leftovers can be kept covered and refrigerated for up to a couple of days.
- 1 lb ripe and juicy black plum (about 3 large or an equal amount of ripe plums of your choice)
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter (at cool room temperature)
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup roasted almonds, that have been finely ground in a food processor
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons water
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and adjust rack to the center position.
- Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring form pan, line the bottom with parchment and lightly butter the parchment.
- Cur each plum in half; remove the stone and cut each plum-half into 4 equal sized wedges.
- If using small Italian plums you should cut each plum-half into only 2 pieces.
- Set adise.
- Cream together the butter and the 2 sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one-at-a-time and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds each, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the almond (or vanilla) extract and beat to combine, about 10 seconds.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat on low until moistened.
- Increase the speed to medium and beat for an additional minute.
- Finish mixing batter by hand with a spatula.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth top with spatula.
- Arrange plum wedges on top in concentric circles.
- Place in oven and bake until dark golden brown and a tester comes out clean, about 45 minutes, rotating the pan 180 degrees halfway through baking.
- Cool on rack until slightly warm, about 45 minutes.
- Remove sides from pan and finish with a dusting of confectiners sugar or (for a more elegant look) the apricot glaze as described below.
- Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream.
- FOR GLAZE:.
- Gently simmer the preserves with the water for 2 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and brush over cake.