1/1 Photo of Plum Butter Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
When you want something a bit special for a holiday or Sunday morning give this delicious bread a try. Don't let the list of ingredients scare you, it's really not difficult and gives a real sense of satisfaction when they come out of the oven. Prep time includes rising time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup lightly packed pitted dried plum (prunes-about 8 ounces)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 -3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (3/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1For plum butter, in a saucepan combine plums, water, and lemon juice; bring to boiling then reduce heat.
- 2Simmer, covered, 40 minutes. remove from heat; stir in honey.
- 3Cool, place in a food processor bowl and process until smooth.
- 4Cover and set aside.
- 5In a bowl stir together 2 cups of the all-purpose flour, yeast, and cardamom.
- 6Heat milk, 1/2 cup butter, sugar, and salt until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F).
- 7Add to flour mixture along with eggs and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.
- 8Beat on high speed 3 minutes.
- 9Stir in whole wheat flour and as much remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
- 10On a floured surface, knead in enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (about 6 to 8 minutes). Place in a greased bowl, cover; let rise until double (about 1 hour).
- 11Turn out onto a floured surface, divide in half.
- 12Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- 13Roll each half into a 12x7-inch rectangle and spread each with 1/2 cup of the plum butter to within 1 inch of edges.
- 14Sprinkle with nuts and cinnamon.
- 15Roll up; seal and place loaves, seam down, in two greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pans.
- 16Cover; let rise until nearly double (30 to 45 minutes).
- 17Bake in a 350 degree F oven 30 to 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- 18Remove from pans, brush with melted butter.
- 19Cool., serve with remaining plum butter.
- 20Makes 2 loaves (32 servings).
- 21Make-Ahead Tips: Transfer remaining prune butter to freezer container; seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before serving. Cool loaves completely. Wrap bread in foil and place in airtight freezer containers or plastic freezer bags; seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw bread for 2 hours at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Plum Butter Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1756 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2568.4
- Calories from Fat 968
- Total Fat 107.6 g
- Saturated Fat 42.5 g
- Cholesterol 433.3 mg
- Sodium 1513.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 357.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 32.5 g
- Sugars 86.8 g
- Protein 64.5 g