Recipe by evelyn/athens
If you can't get decent fresh apricots, drained canned apricots will do just fine. Serve with softly-whipped cream flavoured with a few drops of almond extract.
- 4 ounces butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup lightly-packed brown sugar
- 8 -12 Italian plums, halved and pitted
- 8 small apricots, halved and pitted
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup blanched almond, finely ground
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven rack in center and preheat oven to 375F.
- In a 10 inch cast-iron skillet, combine the 2 tblsps butter and the brown sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring, until melted.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and arrange the plums and apricots, cut sides up, snugly and attractively in a single layer in the melted sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat together the remaining butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the extracts, then add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Stir in the almonds, then the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Spoon the batter over the fruit and smooth it.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until lightly-browned and cake springs back when lightly pressed with a fingertip.
- Let cool for a few minutes.
- Invert onto a cake plate and carefully remove skillet.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.