Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Fresh fruit yummy!! from cooking for diabetics.
- 1 lb plum
- 1 tart cooking apple, about 4 oz
- 1 large banana
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or half whole wheat and half all purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk or 3 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- plain low-fat yogurt, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350f degrees.
- Cut the plums in half and ease out the pits.
- Peel, core and chop the apple, then peel and slice the banana.
- Mix the plums, apple and banana in a saucepan.
- Pour in the water, bring to a simmer and cook gently for 15 minutes, or until the fruit is soft.
- Spoon the fruit mixture into a baking dish.
- Level the surface.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and raisins in a bowl.
- Add the buttermilk or yogurt and mix to a very soft dough.
- Transfer the biscuit dough to a lighty floured surface and divide it into 6 to 8 portions, then pat each into a flattish biscuit.
- Cover the plum and apple mixture with the biscuits.
- Bake the pie for 40 minutes, until biscuits are cooked through.
- Serve the pie hot with plain yogurt, or let it sit until cool.