Recipe by Jenny Sanders
Here is a great dessert for late summer, early fall when fresh Italian or German prune type plums are in season along with the first apples, but the weather is still warm. Apples and plums together are wonderful! Somehow better than either alone.
- 2 cups late sweet plums, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 medium tart apples
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the plums, pit them and chop them.
- Poach them gently with the apple cider and the cinnamon until they are soft and falling apart.
- Allow them to cool somewhat.
- Peel the apples, and grate them, discarding the cores.
- Mix the grated apples into the plum mixture.
- Spoon the fool into individual glass serving bowls, and chill.
- Beat the cream and sugar until stiff and serve it over the fools.
- Instead of the whipped cream, serve the fools with a little light English-style custard poured over them.