Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe came from my Russian grandmother over 90 years ago. The rice recipe was made to be served as a dessert.
- In a large cooking pot, add water, rice, salt and lemon juice and bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender but still firm; DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- Drain rice in a colander and then rinse off slightly with hot water; drain well.
- In a bowl, add raisins and pour some boiling water over to cover and let stand for about 1 minute; drain well.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a buttered 9 x 9 inch casserole dish, place a layer (about 1/2 inch thick), then a sprinkling of raisins, a sprinkling of melted butter, and a sprinkling of sugar and salt.
- Repeat layering, a total of 3 layers.
- Pour whipping cream over the top.
- Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake in preheated 325 F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir once during half time of baking.
- Serve warm or cold with milk or additional whipping cream.