Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This recipe came from my Russian grandmother over 90 years ago. The rice recipe was made to be served as a dessert.
Top Review by NatalyaK
Hi! It is great recipe for Russian rice pudding or "Risovaya zapekanka".Plov is entirely different dish made from rice, meat (traditionally lamb), carrots, raisins and bunch of spices. I thought I'd let you know.
- 12 cups water
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1⁄4 cups golden seedless raisins
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large cooking pot, add water, rice, salt and lemon juice and bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender but still firm; DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- Drain rice in a colander and then rinse off slightly with hot water; drain well.
- In a bowl, add raisins and pour some boiling water over to cover and let stand for about 1 minute; drain well.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a buttered 9 x 9 inch casserole dish, place a layer (about 1/2 inch thick), then a sprinkling of raisins, a sprinkling of melted butter, and a sprinkling of sugar and salt.
- Repeat layering, a total of 3 layers.
- Pour whipping cream over the top.
- Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake in preheated 325 F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir once during half time of baking.
- Serve warm or cold with milk or additional whipping cream.