Recipe by Debloves2cook
I received this recipe from dear friends of our family. For years, they generously entertained us westerners with their traditional family recipes and finally after so many requests they made a recipe book as a gift to all their very grateful friends. The recipes, including this one are from the Punjab region of India. This rice dish is a traditional Indian recipe and is a great addition to any curry dish. This rice dish may seem a little more difficult than some, but it is well worth the effort.
Top Review by Chef RZ Fan
This was very good - I used brown rice and did not wash it because I have heard that washes away the nutrients. Other than that I followed exactly and it's a keeper. Thank you !
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 whole black peppercorns
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup long-grain rice, washed
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a deep pot. Add onions and cook till onions are transparent.
- At medium heat, add peas to oil and cook for two minutes.
- Crush the Black Peppers with the back of a spoon and add to the oil mixture along with the Cumin, Salt, Cinnamon stick and Bay leaves.
- Add rice to the oil mixture and stir well, making sure the rice is well coated.
- Add water and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.