Recipe by JMigs;0)
This is a combo of recipes, I like this because I can sneak kale into something everyone loves (The kids and hubs can't detect the veggies especially if you take the extra steps to blend it smooth in a blender). But I think it's good as is, I personally like it chunky! If you like a meatier sauce, I sugguest you add 1 lb of ground lean pork or else italian sausage. This is alot for a family of 4 (2 small kids, 2 adults) so I often use the left over for lasagna.
Top Review by LonghornMama
All of my picky kids enjoyed this which is high praise indeed. Especially since none of them eat the veggies listed in the ingredients. Instead of whole tomatoes, I used 4 cans of diced tomatoes, undrained, and simmered partially covered for several hours. Blended with a hand blender until totally smooth, then added the cooked ground beef and simmered a bit more. Before serving added a 15 oz can of tomato sauce to thin the mixture a bit as well as an additional splash of wine. Used 4 T Parmesan and skipped the mozzarella. What a wonderful way to sneak a LOT of wonderful veggies into my kids. Everyone ate and enjoyed the sauce. Hopefully I'll have a bit left to store in the freezer for later. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2008.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes, drained
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups kale leaves, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and season to taste with salt and pepper, drain and put aside.
- Saute onions, carrots, bell peppers, and celery in the olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, saute for another minute.
- Add meat, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, kale, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, paprika, wine, sugar, and cheeses.
- When the mixture starts to bubble, lower the heat to simmer on low for at least one hour, stir occasionally.
- If you want to blend the veggies for a smoother sauce, you will want to blend the sauce BEFORE you add the meat, then simmer to marry the flavors.