Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a combo of recipes, I like this because I can sneak kale into something everyone loves (The kids and hubs can't detect the veggies especially if you take the extra steps to blend it smooth in a blender). But I think it's good as is, I personally like it chunky! If you like a meatier sauce, I sugguest you add 1 lb of ground lean pork or else italian sausage. This is alot for a family of 4 (2 small kids, 2 adults) so I often use the left over for lasagna.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes, drained
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups kale leaves, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown ground beef and season to taste with salt and pepper, drain and put aside.
- Saute onions, carrots, bell peppers, and celery in the olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, saute for another minute.
- Add meat, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, kale, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, paprika, wine, sugar, and cheeses.
- When the mixture starts to bubble, lower the heat to simmer on low for at least one hour, stir occasionally.
- If you want to blend the veggies for a smoother sauce, you will want to blend the sauce BEFORE you add the meat, then simmer to marry the flavors.