Recipe by Irmgard
I found this little gem in the coupon insert of my Sunday newspaper and it is the best chili I have ever eaten. How spicy it is depends mostly on how hot of a salsa is used. It is also very versatile as it can be made with either beef, pork, chicken or turkey.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
I also had this recipe in my copies of magazine clippings. I added some italian sausage & finely chopped jalapeno. Substituted 1 can of pork n' beans for 1 can of the kidney beans & chopped baby corns for the regular. Nice flavours and not too spicy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 (19 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, non-stick skillet, cook the meat, garlic and onion over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat with a spoon, for 9 to 10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the peppers, to the meat and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours or until bubbly and hot.
- Stir in the peppers; cover and cook on high for an additional 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.