Recipe by ktenille
This is my MILs recipe. It takes some time and when we make them we make two pans. One to eat and one to freeze for later. And when all is said and done my husband is always begging for more. *Note: You do not have to make the tortillas yourself. You can buy them.
- 8 tortillas
- 2 cups flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup water (lukewarm)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash garlic
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup lettuce (shredded)
- 1⁄3 cup cheese (shredded, we use cheddar)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Tortillas (optional):.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix to cornmeal consistency.
- Add water.
- Knead on floured board.
- Divide into 8 parts and let stand covered with towel for 15 minutes.
- Roll dough into 8" circles.
- Fry in ungreased skilled until lightly browned.
- Cook in large pan until mixture has crumbly texture.
- Combine and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Dip tortillas in simmering sauce until softened.
- Remove from sauce.
- Fill with 2 T meat mixture, 1 T lettuce and 2 T cheese each.
- Roll and secure with toothpicks (if needed).
- Grease 9x13 pan and pour a little sauce in the bottom.
- Arranced rolls in pan on top of sauce.
- Pour remaining sauce on top of rolls.
- Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Sprinle with remaining cheese and bake 5 more minutes.
- Enjoy after all that hard work!