Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 11 mins
This soup is the perfect remedy for those fussy eaters who refuse to eat their vegetables, yet will eat all sorts of vegetables when served in soup. This recipe was created for the RSC #14 cooking contest.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 onion (sweet)
- 1 cup baby portabella mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (diced green tops only)
- 48 ounces vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (sliced)
- 2 cups napa cabbage (shredded)
- 1 cup wax bean (fresh, cleaned, cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dill (dried)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (dried)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- In a 4-quart pot or dutch oven add peanut oil.
- Saute sliced sweet onions on medium low heat until tender, stirring frequently.
- Then toss in the mushrooms and saute them for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and green onions. Saute for an additional minute.
- Add vegetable stock, carrots, napa cabbage, wax beans, soy sauce, dill, sesame oil, Worcestershire sauce and rosemary.
- Bring to a boil and then drop the temperature down to simmer, cover and cook for 60 minutes.
- Salt & pepper to taste. Enjoy!
We liked this soup, but just felt that it needed something. I added a bit more worcestershire too. I think this is a great base to add things to, like more veggies, pasta maybe. Thanks for creating this and good luck!
Very tasty soup. The only change I made was using chicken stock instead of vegetable since that's all I had. We'll be eating the leftovers this weekend. It makes alot! Thanks for creating this one. Good luck in the contest.
Oh my gosh, I was looking for a soup that included mushrooms! I am glad I found this one. And it wasn't too heavy either.