Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
You won't feel blue when you read the Nutrition Facts! This is a healthier adaptation of Macaroni and Blue Cheese. For the pasta, I use Barilla Plus Multigrain Elbows which have 10 grams of protein and only 2 grams of fat per serving.
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, elbow macaroni shaped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh chives, minced
- pepper, to taste
- 1 g non-fat cooking spray, butter flavored
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8 x 8 pan with fat free cooking spray.
- Boil water and cook pasta according to box directions (probably about eight minutes); drain.
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium to low heat, then add flour and cook 1 minute stirring constantly (do not allow to brown); gradually whisk in cream and milk and simmer until mixture thickens slightly, whisking occasionally (about 3 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low and add grated cheddar cheese and only 1/2 cup blue cheese; whisk about 2 minutes or when cheese starts to melt, then flavor with pepper if desired;add cooked pasta to sauce, stirring to coat, and transfer mixture to baking dish; sprinkle with remaining blue cheese and bake about 25 minutes or until sauce begins to bubble.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve - enjoy!
Anything with cheese is always a winner in our house,especially if it's not completely bad for you. My only change would be to use only 1 tbsp of flour ( I was taught that it must be equal quantities!),and then any extra milk wouldn't be necessary,as I too added more. I also skipped the salt,as it's a risky business when using blue cheese. Rich,creamy and deeply satisfying-an enjoyable twist to a classic.
We so had to try this unique twist on mac & cheese and we're happy we did! We used penne pasta (on hand). The bleu cheese is plenty salty, so we chose to omit any additional salt. We did have to add about 1/2 cup more milk as the cheese sauce was very thick. The green onion was great and next time we would add some into the mix as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)