Top Review by Noo
Anything with cheese is always a winner in our house,especially if it's not completely bad for you. My only change would be to use only 1 tbsp of flour ( I was taught that it must be equal quantities!),and then any extra milk wouldn't be necessary,as I too added more. I also skipped the salt,as it's a risky business when using blue cheese. Rich,creamy and deeply satisfying-an enjoyable twist to a classic.
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, elbow macaroni shaped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh chives, minced
- pepper, to taste
- 1 g non-fat cooking spray, butter flavored
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8 x 8 pan with fat free cooking spray.
- Boil water and cook pasta according to box directions (probably about eight minutes); drain.
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium to low heat, then add flour and cook 1 minute stirring constantly (do not allow to brown); gradually whisk in cream and milk and simmer until mixture thickens slightly, whisking occasionally (about 3 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low and add grated cheddar cheese and only 1/2 cup blue cheese; whisk about 2 minutes or when cheese starts to melt, then flavor with pepper if desired;add cooked pasta to sauce, stirring to coat, and transfer mixture to baking dish; sprinkle with remaining blue cheese and bake about 25 minutes or until sauce begins to bubble.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve - enjoy!