Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yet another copycat recipe claiming it's from the Plaza III Steak House in Kansas City. I will find this recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb leftover grilled steak
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat until just melted, do not brown. Whisk in the flour to form a smooth paste. Cook over moderate heat for 3 minutes, whisking all the while.
- Whisk in the consomme until smooth and slightly thickened. Bring to a full boil.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, carrots, celery, onions, bouillon cubes, Kitchen Bouquet, and pepper. Return to a full boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Stir occasionally.
- While simmering vegetables, cook the ground round over medium heat until browned. Drain off the grease from meat.
- Add the ground round and frozen veggies to the soup. Simmer, covered, for another 15 minutes.