Recipe by Nancy Sneed
Kid pleasing and for those of us who never grew up and still like the feeling of it in your hands. lol
Top Review by Kaarin
We had lots of fun making this and playing with it! It was easy to do in the microwave, as long as it's well stirred each time, and after kneading is just like store bought play dough. I've already made two batches and will definitely make more! Thanks!
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons powdered alum
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 1-quart glass bowl, combine flour, salt, cornstarch and alum.
- Gradually add water and oil.
- Stir until just about smooth.
- Microwave on HIGH, uncovered, 3 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring every minute.
- Mixture will be lumpy.
- Cool enough to handle, then put on waxed paper and knead with hands until smooth.
- Store in air-tight container.
- Mixture appears to be a failure during cooking.
- It becomes very thick and lumpy and does not look at all like playdough.
- As soon as you start kneading, the mixture will become soft, pliable and smooth.
- Children enjoy preparing and playing with the end results.