- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped (or 3/4 cup white chocolate chips)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease an 8" square baking pan.
- Beat sugar and egg until fluffy, about 3 minutes with mixer.
- Add vanilla and butter, and beat to mix well.
- In a small bowl, stir flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat just until incorporated.
- Don't overmix.
- Stir in the pecans and white chocolate with a spoon.
- Note: I buy a good quality white chocolate bar, and beat it in the package with a heavy spoon or meat tenderizer to break it up into chunks before opening the package, and pouring into the mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes, until the top is dry and golden, and a knife inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs, not perfectly dry yet.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Cut into 2" squares.