Recipe by Angela Sara
This is a recipe from an old Sunday Observer newspaper on Welsh recipes.
Top Review by Jewelies
This is a great family recipe. My girls really enjoyed it. I used powdered ginger and cooked it slightly longer. Once cooked I drained the pan juices into a wide jug and placed in the freezer for about 1/2 hour so all the lamb fat rose to the top. I then scooped all the fat off and boiled the juices on the stove top to reduce to a fabulous gravy. Thanks for sharing, I will make this again for sure.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs leg of lamb
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 1 bottle dry cider
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to Gas 3/160C/325F degrees.
- Rub the lamb all over with the salt, pepper and the ginger.
- Spread the honey over it, and put into a deep pan.
- Scatter rosemary evenly over it.
- Pour in enough cider to come about 2 inch up the pan.
- Put in the oven for 1 1/2 hours basting occasionally.
- Test it and give it another 30 mins if not tender.
- Although the lamb will be pinkish by this method it won't be rare.
- Transfer to a hot dish and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Strain the juice into a shallow pan and reduce by boiling to make a dark well flavoured sauce.