Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A thrifty, nourishing soup from the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups stock
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook vegetables in stock until tender; strain and discard.
- Melt butter, blend in flour and add milk.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add broth and simmer until blended.
- Adjust seasonings, add grated cheese and serve.