Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very old recipe, dating back over 100 years. Good, old fashioned southern cooking.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, raw,grated
- 1 fresh lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 orange rind, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Combine the potatoes, lemon rind, and orange rind.
- Beat eggs, sugar and butter and stir into potato mixture.
- Add the spices, molasses, milk, and bourbon.
- Mix thoroughly and bake in a slow oven (about 300 degrees) for an hour in a buttered casserole.
I believe the temperature of the oven should be 350 degrees. And perhaps that is why Aunty Doty's came out too wet.
Okey Doke Bogey's Mum, you have to forgive my ignorance here - this turnes out like a kind of pudding if anything.. is this right? It was quite a 'wet' dish, and not having any clue of what 'pone' is I found it all rather intriguing. It is yummy, mine was quite boozy even - used brandy instead of bourbon. Thanks for a really interesting dish : )