Another recipe from my favorite Reader's Digest cookbook (called Down Home Cooking). It's a breakfast dish that resembles a giant puffy pancake. The recipe originated in South Carolina in the 18th century, and this version is topped off with assorted fresh berries (and any berries can be used, such as raspberries, strawberries, blueberries).
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup low-fat milk (1% milk fat)
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups fresh berries (optional)
- maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- In a heavy, oven-proof skillet, melt butter in the oven.
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer, beat eggs, egg white, milk, flour, sugar, orange rind, orange juice, 1/4 reaspoon of the cinnamon, and nutmeg for 2 minutes or just until smooth.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, tilt to coat the sides with the melted butter. Pour mixture over the butter, and return to oven to bake (at 425°) for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- In a small bowl, mix the confectioner's sugar with the remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and sprinkle over the cake.
- Serve with fresh berries or syrup if you wish.
I have to agree with Baby Kato, this is an awesome recipe!!!! I made a scaled back recipe and made it using 1/3 of the amounts listed, except I just 1 large egg for the recipe. I used a sugar & cinnamon shaker in place of the powdered sugar/cinnamon combo in the recipe and strawberries as the fruit. This was such a fabulous tasting cake/pancake and the added cinnamon/sugar and berries on top was so perfect. This will definitely be repeated at my house!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for "Best of 2013" Tag Game and going into my favorites for 2014 cookbook.
NWG this is an awesome recipe. I love pancakes and this one certainly does not disappoint. Love the combination of orange and spices in this treat. The pancake was quick and really easy to make terrific results, it was puffy, light and tender. I was out of icing sugar so used whipped cream instead to garnish with, I also used the optional berries and maple syrup. I sweetened the strawberries and drizzled maple syrup on the whipped cream. It was delicious. Thank you for sharing a recipe that I will make again, it has gone into my favorites Cookbook for 2013, Kudos.
Followed the recipe right on down (well, with the exception of leaving off the maple syrup, which is optional, anyway; AND using thawed, frozen berries) & we really, really enjoyed this for breakfast! Great flavor combo from the orange & cinnamon, I thought, & the berries made it especially wonderful! I look forward to making this one again when fresh berries are at their peak! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]