Recipe by Spyce
This recipe originally comes from Guadalajara Mexico.It has a beautiful combination of sweet and savory flavor combined with an eloquent touch of tamarind sauce.
Top Review by Elmotoo
MY version got a 4 but if the plantains had been riper, it would have been a 5. DO make sure your plantains are nice & ripe, yellow with black spots & mushy. Mine were barely ripe, too starchy, soaked up lots of extra butter but the stuffing remained too dry. But mixed with the sauce was tolerable. The sauce is spectacular. It's a VERY easy dish & looks great on the plate. very filling, too. Made for my 3 Chefs 11/09. :) Thanks!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe plantains
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 3 tablespoons of pure honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chicken, 3 cups of water, salt and bring to a boil.
- Melt half the butter in pan. Add peeled plantains, cinnamon.Mash and mix well for one min on medium heat.
- Remove chicken from broth, discard chicken broth or reserve for later cooking. Lay the chicken breast flat and cut from right to left through the center making two halves, add a tablespoon of plantain stuffing on the bottom half of the breast and add a 1/8th teaspoon of butter on the plantain stuffing for taste. place the second half of the chicken breast on top like a sandwich.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking tray and cover with aliminium foil. Bake the dish in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes over a low heat.* Make sure to cover chicken with foil to keep the top layer from hardening.
- To make the sauce boil a cup of water and add the remaining ingredients except corn starch. In a bit of cold water ( about 1 ounce) drop one table spoon of corn starch and mix well. Add this mix slowly to the tamarind sauce, and keep stirring on low heat for 5 minute To make the sauce spicer or sweeter or tangyer you can add more chile powder or honey or tamarid to please your taste buds.
- To serve: Place chicken breast on plate add 3-4 tablespoons of tamarind sauce on top. Garnish with cooked plantain slices and corriander.