Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From “A Taste of Africa” by Dorinda Hafner. -Tanzania. Needs to mature 3-6 months.
- 7 very ripe plantains or 7 bananas, peeled and finely sliced
- 10 pints water (6 L)
- 4 lbs sugar (2 kg)
- 1 slice bread, toasted cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh yeast (15 g)
- Boil the plantains or bananas in the water for 20 minutes, strain and add the sugar to the liquid. Set aside to cool. Pour into a large jar.
- Spread both sides of each strip of toast with fresh yeast and drop into strained liquid.
- Lightly cover jar with a piece of muslin and store in a cool, safe place for 1 week.
- Strain the liquid after 1 week and store in an airtight container for 3 weeks., then open and strain for a third time.
- Store in an airtight container for a further 1 month.
- Finally, open and strain for the fourth and last time, then bottle as wine and cork.
- The wine may now be chilled and served as normal, however, the longer it is left, the more mature it will become, so serve when it suits you.