Recipe by Julesong
This is one of my adopted recipes. I love plaintains! It looks like a dish my family and I would enjoy, so I hope to make it and edit it in the future.
- 3 lbs green plantains, or other green bananas, peeled
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup light cream or 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- (Grated Gruyere cheese can be used instead of cheddar cheese.)
- Place bananas in saucepan and add just enough chicken stock to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until bananas are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, mash until smooth (chicken stock will be absorbed).
- Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a small frypan and saute onions until tender.
- Add the onions, cream, beaten eggs to cooked bananas until combined; season with salt, nutmeg and cinnamon to taste.
- Mixture will be quite moist.
- Place banana mixture in a buttered shallow baking dish.
- Combine cheese with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes or until top is golden.