Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of my adopted recipes. I love plaintains! It looks like a dish my family and I would enjoy, so I hope to make it and edit it in the future.
- (Grated Gruyere cheese can be used instead of cheddar cheese.)
- Place bananas in saucepan and add just enough chicken stock to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until bananas are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, mash until smooth (chicken stock will be absorbed).
- Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a small frypan and saute onions until tender.
- Add the onions, cream, beaten eggs to cooked bananas until combined; season with salt, nutmeg and cinnamon to taste.
- Mixture will be quite moist.
- Place banana mixture in a buttered shallow baking dish.
- Combine cheese with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes or until top is golden.
I made this today. It reminds me of the flavor of Turkey stuffing, I would not make this again, but I will finish what I made.
Excellent! Definitely different. I accidentally put cheese in with the plantains, but I don't mind that in the slightest. Double the cheese can't hurt too many recipes I know of. It turned out moist, flavorful, attractive, and interesting. I would add some fresh parsley next time but the recipe as is is quite good.