Recipe by Olha
By using this old-school cooking technique, the fish absorbs fragrant wood smoke and is layered with flavours. Say bye bye to bottled marinade after you make this Chili Marinade.
Top Review by Rumdrinker25
Amazing recipe! A few minor changes as I couldn't find any lemon grass. I used chopped onion sprouts in the marinade and drained it through a sieve before marinating. I added 1 TBSP of mayo to the stuffing to help bind it. Also, the author has STEAKS and FILLETS confused - I used steaks, and the result was absolutely fantastic!
FOR THE SALMON
- 2 (4 -5 ounce) salmon fillets, skin removed
- 6 shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup crabmeat, squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 1 dash olive oil
Thai Chili Marinade and Glaze (use 1/2 tsp)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot chili sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon finely grated gingerroot
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 limes, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE THAI CHILI AND MARINADE AND GLAZE: Place all above ingredients into a small mason jar. Shake well. Allow to sit for 20 to 30 minutes before using.
- This makes an excellent marinade for seafood and chicken and can also be brushed onto seafood and chicken during cooking to add a nice subtle flavour and glaze. Keeps well refrigerated for two weeks.
- PLANKED SALMON: Oil the seasoned cedar plank thoroughly on both sides. Place the salmon steak on the oiled plank.
- Using a sharp knife, make an incision through the centre of the salmon steak.
- Dice 4 of the 6 shrimp and mix into the crab meat, followed by the panko breadcrumbs, splash of olive oil and 1 tsp of the Thai chili marinade and glaze. Mix thoroughly and stuff into the salmon steak, placing one whole shrimp on top.
- Brush with a little more of the marinade glaze and place onto the upper rack of a barbeque preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook for approximately 7 to 10 minutes, brushing two to three more times with the marinade glaze throughout the cooking time. Serves 2.
- Chef Michael Bonacini.
- To season cedar plank: To reduce the burning of the wood to a point where you can effectively grill on a plank you need to make sure that it has been soaked in water for at least an hour. This will get the wood as wet as it can get and give you the time you need to get your fish completely cooked before the board starts really burning. If you notice that the board has caught fire while you are grilling, spray it down with water to put out the fire. This isn’t to say that you don’t want the board to burn a little. The smoldering of the wood is what creates the smoke and flavors the fish.