Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from one of Mom's "old, old" (30's)cook books and has been modified somewhat. This makes a wonderful, one "plank", company dinner. If you like oysters, you'll love these!!!!!!!! Serve with warm crusty rolls.
- Butter a plank or flat oven proof dish.
- Heat the plank or dish.
- Place in the centre, oysters.
- Season them with salt and few grains of cayenne pepper, onion or lemon juice.
- Cover oysters with thin strips of bacon.
- Surround oysters with thick slices of raw tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes lightly with a mixture of flour, salt, pepper and brown sugar.
- Dot tomatoes with butter.
- Bake the oysters and tomatoes in a moderate oven, 350 for 20 minutes.
- Have ready hot mashed potatoes, force them through a pastry bag to form a border.
- Serve the dish at once.
- If preferred the potatoes may be added to the plank before baking, they will be quite brown and a little crisp on the outside, If added before baking, they must be quite stiff and a little away from the tomatoes so they won't become "sogged" by the tomatoes.
- OR- If doing the potatoes with the tomatoes and oysters, use tomatoes cut in half instead of sliced, the skin will retain the juices but they may not be quite so luscious.
- Grated Parmesan cheese can be added to the top of each half of tomato after sprinkling the flour mixture.
I cut this recipe down to two servings for my husband and myself tonight, using 12 oysters and 3 tomatoes. The oysters were absolutely delicious, but a lot of juice ran out of the tomatoes, and I had to drain off about 2 cups of liquid. What with it being so wet, I just served the mashed potatoes on the side. I was rather disappointed with the presentation, but delighted with the flavor.