1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from one of Mom's "old, old" (30's)cook books and has been modified somewhat. This makes a wonderful, one "plank", company dinner. If you like oysters, you'll love these!!!!!!!! Serve with warm crusty rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Butter a plank or flat oven proof dish.
- 2Heat the plank or dish.
- 3Place in the centre, oysters.
- 4Season them with salt and few grains of cayenne pepper, onion or lemon juice.
- 5Cover oysters with thin strips of bacon.
- 6Surround oysters with thick slices of raw tomatoes.
- 7Sprinkle the tomatoes lightly with a mixture of flour, salt, pepper and brown sugar.
- 8Dot tomatoes with butter.
- 9Bake the oysters and tomatoes in a moderate oven, 350 for 20 minutes.
- 10Have ready hot mashed potatoes, force them through a pastry bag to form a border.
- 11Serve the dish at once.
- 12If preferred the potatoes may be added to the plank before baking, they will be quite brown and a little crisp on the outside, If added before baking, they must be quite stiff and a little away from the tomatoes so they won't become "sogged" by the tomatoes.
- 13OR- If doing the potatoes with the tomatoes and oysters, use tomatoes cut in half instead of sliced, the skin will retain the juices but they may not be quite so luscious.
- 14Grated Parmesan cheese can be added to the top of each half of tomato after sprinkling the flour mixture.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Planked Oysters
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g