Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This could be pared with Cuban style black beans and rice.
- 24 ounces halibut fillets
- kosher salt
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron thread, crumbled
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lime, cut in half
- olive oil
- 1 cedar plank (soaked overnight or for at least 1 hour)
- 2 cups tropical fruit, diced (any combination of mango, papaya, kiwi and pineapple)
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Season both sides of the fillets with salt and pepper. Combine cumin, turmeric, saffron and cayenne and sprinkle evenly over fillets. Squeeze cut lime over fillets and drizzle with a little olive oil. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill. Rinse plank and place on cooking grate. Cover grill and heat plank for 4 - 5 minutes, or until it starts to throw off a bit of smoke and crackles lightly. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Place fillets on plank and cook 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from grill and tent lightly with foil. Let rest for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Salsa: In a bowl, gently toss salsa ingredients. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve fillets topped with a dollop of salsa and serve remaining salsa on the side.