Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
This recipe is from La Huella, a parador in Jose Ignacio, Uruguay.
Make and share this Plancha-Style Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 24 large shrimp, middle sections (peeled heads and tails left intact if desired)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped (garnish)
- lemon wedge (garnish)
- Cook oil and garlic in a small saucepan over low heat until garlic is soft but not yet golden, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let cool. Strain garlic oil through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl; set aside.
- Place shrimp and onion in separate medium bowls; season with salt and pepper. Heat a cast-iron griddle over high heat until smoking. You can also cook on a barbecue grill. Arrange shrimp on one half of griddle in a single layer and onion on the other half.
- Alternatively, using a cast-iron skillet, cook shrimp first, then onion (don’t overcrowd the pan or the shrimp will steam instead of sear). Cook until shrimp are golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Turn shrimp and onion, drizzle with some garlic oil, and cook until shrimp are cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Divide shrimp and onion among plates; garnish with parsley. Squeeze lemon over top.