Prep 8 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Another taste of the Caribbean! This stew is unique in that it's made with "plaintains," also known as cooking bananas. (Prep time includes "soaking" time if using salted beef; time will be much shorter if you use ham or bacon)
- 1 lb salted beef or 1 lb ham or 1 lb bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 2 plantains, cooking bananas,medium-ripe
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 large white potatoes
- 3 -4 cups pumpkin (aka as "pompuna" in the Caribbean)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon or 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- If using salted beef, let set overnight in cold water.
- Then use frest water to cook it in.
- (Or use ham or bacon).
- Saute onion and garlic in oil, until translucent.
- Cut vegetables into 1" chunks.
- Add vegetables and meat to onions and garlic and barely cover with water.
- Add butter, tomato paste, and cinnamon or allspice.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender.