Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from a Southern Living Book titled, "Canning and Preserving Cookbook". I haven't tried the recipe but am posting it as a request. Hope you enjoy it. Prep time depends on how much you are making as the recipe gives no specific amounts.
- Wash, rinse, drain and core the fresh firm tomatoes.
- Cut in 2-inch pieces and place in a large kettle.
- Cover and cook over low heat until the juice runs freely.
- Remove the cover and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes are mushy.
- Put the tomatoes through a food mill or sieve to remove the skins and seed.
- Return the pulp to the kettle and cook until almost as thick as catsup.
- Pour the hot sauce to 1/4 inch from the top of the jars and add 1 tsp salt to each jar.
- Place the lids on the jars and screw the bands tight.
- Process pints and quarts in boiling water in a waterbath canner for 30 minutes.