Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
My all time comfort food. It is not a Yorkshire but just as good I think. But you must not beat in the eggs or flour. It should be really lumpy and "eggy" looking before cooking. Use lots of Pam spray if not using non stick pan.
- Put flour and salt on paper towel (why dirty a dish?).
- Put milk in a bowl and add eggs.
- Break eggs& yoke by lifting a fork under them 2 or 3 times Do not beat it (you should see the eggs in the milk).
- Add flour and salt all at once.
- With a fork fold into milk and leave it very lumpy (break up large lumps but leave it real lumpy).
- Liberally spray (lightly if using a non stick pan) an 8 cup muffin tin with Pam.
- Fill cups 3/4 full.
- Place in a COLD oven.
- Set oven to 450 degrees and cook 30 to 35 minutes.
- A 12 cup muffin tin can be used but the cooking time must be adjusted lower.
- These have always come out crisp outside, soft inside and puffy.
- They can be done ahead and reheated as well.
I really enjoyed these. Made them for dinner last night and they turned out perfect. Loaded mine with lots of butter...yummy!!! Whenever I go shopping at Marshall Fields (Hudson's) I always have a popover, now I can make my own. Thanks :)
We love popovers in our house. The problem is, I find the results unreliable. I've always used recipes where you blend the ingredients smooth. Sometimes they don't "pop" up for me, even though I've tried all the tips (bake on bottom rack, dust muffin tins w/ sugar, etc). This recipe was EASY and they puffed up pretty well. The insides were mostly hollow with custardy walls. I think next time I'll bake them on the bottom rack and add a tbs. or two of sugar, as the flavor was a tad bit bland. I will also try baking them a little less time. They were VERY brown. My oven door door has no window, so I can't check on them easily. I will make these again. Great with butter, jam, and plain yogurt. Would also be great with lemon juice & powdered sugar.
My aussie husband visited Boston 25 years ago and came back raving about Popovers and till today I have not been able to find a recipe for them. Thanks for saving my sanity and marriage He is truly a content man now!