Recipe by Jockey
Just was looking for a good, plain italian bread. You know the kind thats crusty on the outside, chewy on the inside. Italian style bread without all the herbs. Easy for the bread machine. Even though RecipeZaar is my favorite, I searched the internet. Found different recipes around the internet. Combined some from here some from there and kind of changed the technique. You get a nice high crusty loaf with a chewy interior and it smells wonderful. As close to the oven as it gets!
Top Review by HopeMMK
Love this Bread! Used dough cycle on bread machine. When cycle was complete, I divided dough into 6 (bun size). Placed on lightly sprayed parchment paper in warm oven to let dough rise again. Baked at 350 till lightly browned. Thanks for the great recipe.
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place Water, Olive Oil, Brown Sugar, 2 Cups of the Flour, and then Salt in the pan of the bread machine. Then add the remainder 2 Cups of the Flour (make a little well) and add Yeast.
- Use the French Bread Setting, Medium Crust, 2 lb loaf.
- As the dough is forming you may want to check and scrape the sides a time or two.
- Let the machine do its thing and enjoy the aroma!