Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Basic muffins that can be changed for many different flavors.
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup plain yogurt
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Beat egg and combine with milk.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir only until mixed.
- Add melted shortening.
- Fill greased muffin pans 2/3 full. Bake in hot oven (425°) for 20-25 minutes.
- Applesauce muffins - Substitute applesauce for milk. Increase oil to 1/2 cup and sugar to 1 cup. Use 2 eggs. Add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1 cup chopped nuts or raisins.