Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Hillbilly Housewife website
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 medium egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- In a large bowl combine the oil, egg, milk, sugar and salt. Mix it very well with a fork or wire whisk. Measure in the baking powder and flour. Mix again until all of the dough particles are moistened. Do not over mix. The whole thing should take about 20 to 30 strokes. Spoon the batter into a dozen well oiled muffin cups. Bake at 400F for aout 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before removing from the pan.
- Cereal Muffins: After preparing the above recipe using 1/4 cup of sugar, add 1 cup of cooked cereal. You may add oatmeal, or grits, or rice, or farina, or whatever you have leftover. This makes about 18 muffins.
- Whole Wheat Muffins: Use half or all whole wheat flour instead of the white flour called for. Use 1/3 cup brown sugar for the sweetener.
- Rye Muffins: Replace 1/2 cup of white flour with rye flour. Add 1 teaspoon caraway seeds to the batter. Use 1/4 cup of brown sugar for the sweetener.
- Cornmeal Muffins: Replace 1 cup of white flur with cornmeal. Use 1/3 cup of white sugar for the sweetener.
Soooo good!!! I will use this recipe all the time!!