Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a plain and simple Indian Rice that I got from the Ayurvedic Cookbook. It makes a great standard dish that can be served with just about anything. The most important thing I've found in making rice is to not touch it once it's covered and simmering.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 1⁄2 cups filtered water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Wash rice under cold tap water and set aside to drain.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, heat ghee over medium heat.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- When the mustard seeds sputter and pop, add water, rice, and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer untouched for 45-50 minutes.
- Take off the heat and allow the rice to set for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, add black pepper and fluff the grains with a fork. Serve hot.