1/2 Photos of Plain Good Butter Biscuits
This has become my go-to recipe for biscuits. It's simple, quick and uses ingredients I almost always have on hand. I've heard that the best biscuits are made with a butter/lard combo. However, I don't have access to real, additive-free lard and will not touch the chemical mystery food that is shortening, so...Here I am with the next best thing...The Plain Good Butter Biscuit. I got this from Brenda Hyde at SeedsofKnowledge.com and it's based on a 1933 recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flour then measure. Add b. powder and salt and sift again.
- 2Cut in the butter. Hyde recommends using your fingers for this by rubbing the butter into the flour. I usually don't because the heat of my hands and fingers tend to melt the butter and that's not good. If you have "hot hands" too, use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut the butter into the flour.
- 3Add the milk gradually, stirring gently. Add only enough milk to bring the flour together in a soft ball. Turn the mix onto a floured surface and knead it reluctantly, just enough to incorporate all the milk. Gently pat the dough into a 1/2" tall layer. Handle the dough as little possible so the biscuits will be tender.
- 4Cut the dough into rounds or squares and place in a buttered pan. It helps biscuits to rise more if you allow the sides to touch. I don't know why this works but it usually does for me.
- 5Bake for 12 - 15 minutes at 400 deg.
- 6You can make these into great appetizers by adding shredded cheddar and fresh parsley to the flour before adding milk. Then cut the biscuits with a small cutter (or glass) about 2" in diameter.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Plain Good Butter Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (502 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.9
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 12.3 mg
- Sodium 199.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.6 g