Recipe by Baby Chevelle
This pie is so good. I have been making this recipe for 23 years. When my boys were small we always went to the apple orchard and picked our own apples for this pie, and then made a bunch and gave to nieghbors and friends. They always looked forward to fall and this pie. Nothing fancy, just a good old fashioned apple pie.
- 2 9-inch pie shells, for lattice-topped pie
- 6 -7 tart apples, pared, cored and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4-1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; mix with sliced apples.
- Line 9 inch pie plate with pastry.
- Fill with apple mixture.
- Cut up butter and dot the pie with the butter.
- NOTE: If your apples are not tart enough, sprinkle them with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- To make basket lattice top, cut 18 strips 3/4 inch wide with pastry wheel. Weave lattice on baking sheet generously sprinkled with sugar.
- Tilt baking sheet over far edge of filled pie and slide lattice onto filling.
- Trim and seal edges.(I flute mine).
- Sprinkle top with sugar. Fold strip of foil around the rim of crust, covering fluted edge.
- Or if you prefer, just top with another pastry, and cut holes to allow the steam to escape. Bake in hot oven 4oo degrees 55 to 60 minutes or until apples are done.
- Serve pie slightly warm.