Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a good biscotti base to use for various types of biscotti--just add your favorite ingredients.
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix the first 3 ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix the last 4 ingredients in a different bowl.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Divide the dough into 3 balls and knead 5 or 6 times.
- Add extra ingredients as desired, maintaining a slightly sticky consistency.
- Compensate for dryness by adding a little milk or unsweetened applesauce.
- Compensate for wetness by adding flour or more of a dry ingredient.
- Place each ball on a piece of wax paper covering a 11"x17" standard cookie sheet.
- With floured hands, shape each ball into a 9 inch mound as far from each other as possible and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 25 minutes on a rack one level up from center of oven.
- Remove from loaves from the wax paper and place on a cutting board.
- With a sharp serated knife, cut 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide slices across the loaf at a slight diagonal.
- Lay the pieces on one side on a 2 layer cookie sheet.
- Bake on a rack in the center of the oven for 10 minutes.
- Turn the slices over and bake until lightly browned-5 to 7 minutes.