Recipe by kelly in TO
Based on an Italian Alps pasta and vegetable dish. This isn't the prettiest soup to look at but it's extremely authentic which is what I love about it so much. Even the cheese used is made from as the guy at the cheese market put it "these guys high up in the mountains who all they do is make cheese all day".
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 1⁄4 vegetable stock
- 3 1⁄2 ounces buckwheat noodles, broken or 3 1⁄2 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 1⁄4 ounces green cabbage, shredded
- 2 1⁄2 ounces bitto cheese or 2 1⁄2 ounces Fontina cheese, cubed
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the potato, onion, garlic and oil in a large saucepan until softened.
- Pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil and let simmer partially covered for 10-12 minutes until potato is soft.
- Add the broken pasta and cook for another 5 minutes, then mix in the cabbage. Let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Mix in the cheese cubes
- Divide into bowls and garnish with a pinch of sea salt.