Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is taken from "The Ultimate Ice Cream Book" These cones require a Pizelle Iron(aka: Pizzelle) and I have found both the electric and stove top model at http://kasbahouse.com/1.pizelle.1.htm online, depending on just how much you want to spend, some get pretty pricey, but the stovetop model is pretty reasonable. You will also be able to locate the cone shaped form at this site.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the egg unti it is thickened and pale yellow. Beat in the butter and vanilla. Gently stir in the flour. Do not overmix or the pizelle may become tough. Allow the batter to rest at room temperature at least 15 minutes.
- Lightly grease your pizelle iron with vegetable oil spray. Preheat the iron on the stove over medium heat (if you're using an electric model, follow the manufacturer's directions). Use 1 1/2 tbls of batter for a 5 inch pizelle iron, and 2 tbls for an 8 inch pizelle iron. Close the iron and cook the pizelle for 30 seconds on one side. Turn the iron over and continue to cook until lightly golden, about 1 minute more. Carefully peel the soft cookie off the iron and roll it around a cone-shaped mold, sealing the point (or if like me just use 4 bowls of same shape and size, inverted, lay cookie over bottom of bowl, it will rest itself around the sides- this makes cone bowls that are soooo darned pretty). Repeat with remaining batter. The cones will harden as they cool. Remove the cones from the molds when completely cool.
- ALMOND CONES - Substitute 1/4 tsp almond extract for the vanilla extract. Proceed with the recipe as directed.
- CINNAMON CONES - Add 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon to the batter along with the vanilla. Proceed with the recipe as directed.
- CIRCUS CONES -(THESE ARE FUN)Add a few drops of food coloring to the batter along with the vanilla. Proceed with the recipe as directed.(divide the batter and make different colors - my DGC love these done up in bowls).
- FLOWER CONES - Add 1 tsp of rose water or orange flavor water to the batter along with the vanilla. Proceed with the recipe as directed.