Recipe by VickyJ
I came across an old binder with some recipes I made years ago. I will be posting these recipes in the future. When I lived in NY, these were favorites that I made often and had forgotten all about. This is one that I used to make for football and hockey games when friends would come over. If you don't like marinated artichokes, you can leave them out. The sandwich should still be good. Artichoke hearts are one of the many things I love to experiment with, and they add so much to this great sandwich. To reduce some fat grams and calories, I used turkey sausage.
- 1 lb turkey sausage
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, sliced
- 6 ounces marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large French rolls
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used mozzarella and cheddar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage slowly, rendering as much grease as possible and drain.
- Sauté onions, red pepper, artichoke hearts, garlic in olive oil until crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, basil and sausage. Reduce heat and simmer until it is of the right consistency. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cut tops off rolls and hollow them out. Then place in 350°F oven for a few minutes until crusts are crisp.
- Fill each roll with sausage/vegetable mixture. Sprinkle cheese atop each roll and place under broiler just until cheese starts to melt.